Bryan Fischer, of the American Family Association has attacked President Obama’s inauguration speech in which he referred to the importance of the gay rights movement, and said that it is “ludicrous” for gay people to expect equal rights, because “nobody is created gay.” Read on…
- English House of Commons ready for marriage equality vote
- Canada moving to end lifetime blood donation ban on gay men
- UK phone operators censor satire, feminism and homosexuality
- Portugal’s parliament unanimously passes trans hate crime law
- Australia drafts law to ban homophobic abuse in sports
- “Terrorists” in Mali were trained by US military for $600 million
- Russian monitors: US election failed to meet democratic standards
- How the Vatican built a secret property empire with fascist money
- Peter Tatchell: UK should look at lowering the age of consent to 14
- Ex-US presidential candidate: Don’t restrict guns, just pray for help
A documentary premiering today at the Sundance film festival explores the evangelical campaign to change African culture with values imported from America’s Christian Right. The film follows American and Ugandan religious leaders fighting "sexual immorality" and missionaries trying to convince Ugandans to follow Biblical law. A statement from its director reads:
I thought about following the activists-brave and admirable men and women-who were fighting against these policies. But I was more curious about the people who, in effect, wanted to kill me. (According to the provisions of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill, I could be put to death or imprisoned.) Notably, almost every evangelical I met – American or Ugandan – was polite, agreeable, even charming. Yet I knew that if the bill passed, there would be blood on the streets of Kampala.
What explains that contradiction? What explains the murderous rage and ecstatic transcendence? In the well-known trope about Africa, a white man journeys into the heart of darkness and finds the mystery of Africa and its unknowable otherness. I, a black man, made that journey and found – America.