Posts tagged Australia
- French president Hollande signs marriage equality into law
- Man killed In 5th anti-gay hate crime this month in New York
- Ukraine lawmakers demand ban on Kiev gay pride parade
- Girl arrested & expelled from school over gay relationship
- US government spied on news agency’s phone records
- Australia secretly starts censoring internet without oversight
- Jobless youth: Europe’s hollow efforts to save a generation
- Yahoo buys Tumblr for 1 billion, promises to not screw it up
Charlie struggles to find the words to be true to himself…and his best friend.
Found by Stephen Fry
A press photographer caught what a troubling incident of police brutality on Saturday night on camera, as a reveler at Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras was assaulted by a cop. Read on…
- Gay marriage ban is not sex discrimination, Australian judge rules
- British anti-gay Cardinal admits that he and others had gay sex
- Meanwhile, some clerics are convinced the pope himself is gay
- Polish Nobel peace prize winner shocks with anti-gay comments
- US trade office calls ACTA back from the dead & Canada complies
- Baby born with HIV apparently cured for first time, say scientists
- Local US police using pictures of little children for target practice
- Long-lost ancient continent finally found under the Indian Ocean
- Anti-gay propaganda bill “reflects Russian values”, foreign minister says
- Australia: Gay kids bullied by teachers as well as students says new study
- Christian group campaigns against program to stop bullying of gay kids
- Vote on same-sex marriage in Vietnam likely to be delayed until next year
- Transgender woman to stand for election in Pakistan for the first time
- Billion dollar profits of big US banks coming entirely from taxpayers
- UK’s most senior Roman Catholic cleric resigns due to abuse allegations
- Radioactive waste leaking again in former American plutonium factory
- US state of Mississippi officially abolishing slavery after historic oversight
- Prison treating inmates like people has lowest reoffending rate in Europe
Australian film censors have banned a film that contains real sex between two male actors less than a year after they allowed a documentary that contained actual depictions of bestiality to screen at festivals. I Want Your Love, by American filmmaker Travis Mathews had been scheduled to screen at LGBT film festivals around Australia this year but the Australian Classification Board decided to ban it instead.
The decision comes less than six months after the Classification Board decided to allow the film Donkey Love, a documentary about a Colombian folk tradition where men have sex with donkeys to prepare them for having sex with women. Donkey Love contained actual on screen sex between men and animals but was given permission to screen at the Sydney Underground Film Festival and Melbourne Underground Festival by the Classification Board. I Want Your Love tells the story of a 20-something gay artist who negotiates to have sex with his best friend before leaving Los Angeles to move back to his hometown in Ohio.
In 2010 the Classification Board banned the Bruce La Bruce gay zombie movie LA Zombie which contained scenes of simulated cannibalism during real sex, however the depictions of real sex in I Want Your Love are non-violent. The Melbourne Underground Film Festival defied the ban and screened LA Zombie anyway and was issued a fine after being raided by police.
Prior to that in 2003 the Classification Board banned the Larry Clark film Ken Park which contained a real threesome between two male and one female adult actors who’s characters were supposed to be teenagers. The ban on LA Zombie lead to a number of official complaints and accusations of anti-gay bias. Another Travis Mathews film, the short documentary In Their Room Berlin, was also refused permission to screen at last year’s Mardi Gras Film Festival.
Australian censors have approved feature films containing real heterosexual sex for an R rating in the past – meaning that they can be rented from video stores – while films deemed simply pornographic are illegal to sell but legal to own in most Australian states.
- Gay adoption laws strengthened for civil partners in Germany
- 200,000 Puerto Ricans protest against equal rights for gays
- Australia considers trans & intersex inclusive birth certificates
- Turkish court disagrees with supreme court, rules gay sex natural
- US, from 1970 to 2005, increased its prison population by 700%
- Hell froze over, even The Economist wants minimum wages in US
- Facebook made $1 billion profits, paid no corporate income tax
- New platform tracks lobbyists copy-pasting their way into EU laws
There are plenty of animes tackling subjects like being transgender in a rather creative way (Sailor Moon comes to mind) and there are even more about cross-dressing. Western cartoon on the other hand rarely ever dare to go anywhere near this. Until now. The Canadian/Australian co-production SheZow features the animated adventures of a twelve year old boy who becomes the worlds finest female superhero.
Twelve year-old Guy Hamdon is a natural cut-up who fancies himself an extreme dude with his own macho catch phrase, “It’s a GUY thing.” Guy lives the dream of every rough-and-tumble boy when he discovers an awesome power ring which transforms him into a mighty superhero! Pretty cool, huh? Well, there’s just one tiny catch… the ring that gives Guy his amazing super powers was only meant to be worn by a girl and the result is absolutely she-larious! Guy must use his super powers to battle mega-villains while sporting an outrageous female superhero costume… which actually ends up helping him tremendously on his own personal journey toward becoming one heck of a super man.
SheZow has more she-puns than you can shake a she-stick at, she-seriously. SheZow which is currently only available in the Australian television market on Network Ten with select episodes on the show’s official YouTube channel, is a new animated superhero show aimed at children in the 6-11 year old range. SheZow features the main characters of Guy with his twin sister Kelly and their best friend Maz, who explore the world of SheZow when Guy and Kelly discover that their aunt Agnes now passed, was the legendary super-heroine herself.
Kelly who is the president of the SheZow fan club and self described biggest SheZow fan and expert on the planet is excited at the thought of becoming the next in the long line of famous women to wear the SheZow ring. Her dream is dashed when Guy takes the ring and jokingly puts it on to taunt his sister, not knowing that anyone who wears the ring can never take it off until they pass away. Suddenly Guy is transformed into the super powered and over feminized SheZow, with his/her superpowers including but not limited to, sonic scream, super strength, light-saber lipstick, super slap, vanishing cream (which turns him invisible) and super speed in high heels.
Combined with a super smart computer named She-la and endless bright pink gadgetry, Guy as SheZow and Kelly as his coach on all things girly fight to save the world from an assortment of villains who spout just as many bad puns as they do.
- English House of Commons ready for marriage equality vote
- Canada moving to end lifetime blood donation ban on gay men
- UK phone operators censor satire, feminism and homosexuality
- Portugal’s parliament unanimously passes trans hate crime law
- Australia drafts law to ban homophobic abuse in sports
- “Terrorists” in Mali were trained by US military for $600 million
- Russian monitors: US election failed to meet democratic standards
- How the Vatican built a secret property empire with fascist money
- Peter Tatchell: UK should look at lowering the age of consent to 14
- Ex-US presidential candidate: Don’t restrict guns, just pray for help