Posts tagged Greece
- Uruguay Senate overwhelmingly approves marriage equality bill in vote
- Malaysian government produces anti-gay musical to scare kids straight
- Gay porn star blasts US immigration laws; commits suicide shortly after
- Sweden’s first openly gay member of parliament gay bashed in Greece
- More than 3,000 signed up for gay protest of Putin in Amsterdam
- Protest against declaring public protests illegal declared illegal in Canada
- US High School to hold a prom for white kids and one "integrated" prom
- Father, first time offender sells pain killers to friend, gets 25 years in prison
- US teacher under investigation for saying “vagina” in anatomy lesson
- Holy torrents: The porn films being pirated within the walls of Vatican
- 23-year-old man decapitated after winning gay beauty pageant
- Fraudulent study attacks same-sex parents illuminates impact of media
- American boy scouts say they have no plans to reverse ban on gays
- 20,000 pages records of sexual abuse within U.S. boy scouts go public
- Romney blocked anti-bullying guide over terms bisexual & transgender
- UK tax payers pay for logging of their own mails & website visits
- U.S. Justice Department knowingly keeps innocent people in jail
- Study: white kids far more negative about racial interactions than black kids
- U.S. companies seek right to override laws they dislike in other countries
- Greek election too close to call, Socialists win majority in French parliament
- Church punished boys speaking about their abuse by castrating them "for being gay"
- Upper house of Switzerland’s parliament moves to legalise adoption by gay couples
- European law protecting gay succession & inheritance rights passes first hurdle
- Transgender rights denied: State of Tennessee kills gender change recognition bill
- Homosexuality is natural, created by God, thus permissible within Islam says conference
- 20% of French gays plan to vote for far right president, 50% for socialist candidate
- Greece, forced into extreme cuts of social services, sees comeback of malaria & HIV
- U.S. government confirms that it has secret interpretation of Patriot Act spy powers
- Canadian police wants citizens to pay new tax so the cops can afford to spy on them
- Student who secretly filmed room-mate’s gay encounter found guilty of hate crime
- American presidential candidate Rick Santorum promises broad war on pornography
- Study: Children who are gender nonconforming at greater risk of abuse
- Protesters urge St. Petersburg not to enact anti-gay “propaganda” law
- Virginia passes bill banning same-sex adoption based on “moral beliefs”
- Christian politicians in UK want law change to allow abusive preaching
- Teenage boy beaten unconscious in anti-gay attack at party last weekend
- Priest leaves woman’s funeral because it turns out her daughter is gay
- Pentagon says American citizens can be killed secretly without trial
- SOPA replacement uses child porn as excuse to spy on 99.7% of Americans
- London no safer for all its out-of-control surveillance says new report
- USA, Italy & Ireland having worse per capita government debt than Greece
- Abstinence-only sex “education” bill in Utah prohibits teaching contraception
- PayPal wants to be the moral police for eBook shops, wants erotica to be gone
- Largest Brazilian city may host a ‘Straight Pride’ day
- McDonalds trans attacker pleads guilty to hate crime charge
- Gay senator David Norris pulls out of Irish presidential race
- Colombian high court says it will legalize same-sex marriage
- UK chess federation president in trouble over gay rights shirt
- Christian schools get worst LGBT ratings in U.S. college review
- Czech president condemns other countries for defending Prague’s gay pride
- Catholic chruch child protection chief caught with 4,000 child porn pics
- The sad truth behind the severe riots in England and its context
- Greece to decriminalize drugs, mostly to save money
- Racism well and alive in some white teens, black man killed just for fun
- Censorship fail reveals music industry had spying plan for internet providers
- Japan’s conservative neoliberals say anime harms kids, push ban
- Local news try really hard to make little black kid look dangerous
- Facebook facial recognition software violates privacy laws, says Germany
- Nirvana baby penis to hot for Facebook, gets banned
Half-male, half-female butterfly hatches at Natural History Museum in London
- The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support torture
- Australian government rejects civil union for Gays and Lesbians
- Greek court ruled that two gay marriages performed in Greece so far are invalid
- US state Maine passes bill to allow Same Sex Marriage
- US army tried to spread Christianity in Afghanistan. Crusade anyone?
- London cops catch and search “terrorist” every three (!) minutes
- Police in Texas accused of at least 150 highway robberies
- EU kills "3-strikes" Internet rule, affirms Internet is a fundamental right
- 911 police officer refuses to help girl who calls about dying father because she said “Fuck”
- Zugriff der USA auf Fingerabdrücke und DNA von Deutschen geplant
- Petition gegen Internetzensur hat bereits über 60.000 Unterstützer!
- Von der Leyen findet Gegner von Zensur “unzivilisiert”, Guttenberg ist sowieso ein heuchlerischer Arsch
- SPD will Internetzensur auf Jugendpornos und Filesharing ausweiten
- Österreich will auch das Netz zensieren, mit den gleichen Lügen wie in Deutschland
- Politik, Populismus und Kinderporno – schöner Artikel zur Internetzensur
- Schwulen- & Lesbenverband warnt vor Wahl von CDU und FDP
- Bundespolizisten wollen auch Spaß, einer hat am 1. Mai fröhlich mitrandaliert
- Kinderpornos sind für Anfänger, Live Search zensiert den Suchbegriff “Strumpfhose”
While mass media mostly lost interest the riots in Greece are still not over.
That’s how media works: No one cares about the end of the story.
The photo above is from a great media photo project by the way:
It’s called “The Big Picture – News Stories in Photographs”
and can be found at the website of the Boston Globe.
Photos from the riots | The Big Picture
The 2008 Greek "Alexandros riots" started on 6 December 2008, when 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos died from a gunshot wound inflicted by Epaminondas Korkoneas, a special guard of the Greek Police, following an altercation between police and a group of youths in the Exarcheia district of Athens.
The killing resulted in large demonstrations, which in many cases escalated to widespread rioting, with hundreds of youths damaging property and engaging riot police with Molotov cocktails. Demonstrations and rioting later spread to several other cities, including Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest city. Outside Greece, solidarity demonstrations, riots and, in some cases, clashes with local police also took place in a number of European cities including London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Frankfurt, Madrid, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Bordeaux as well as Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, and the western Cypriot city of Paphos.
While the unrest was triggered by the shooting incident, many commentators described the reactions as expressing deeper causes as well, especially a wide-spread feeling of frustration in the younger generation about specific economic problems of the country, a rising unemployment rate among the young generation and a perception of general inefficiency and corruption in Greek state institutions.
[exclusive photos from a friend in Greece, thanks!]
- British ISPs censor Wikipedia over ‘child porn’ album cover… who’s next?
- European Court of Human Rights says UK mustn’t save DNA data of innocents!
- Australia hires web spies to monitor anti-war campaigners, animal rights & environmental campaigners etc.
- Capitalism: Sick babies denied treatment because of a company’s patent on a key gene.
- “Sex” pictures of the Simpsons are child pornography in Australia.
- UK sperrt “Kinderpornoseiten”. Erstes Opfer: Wikipedia. Demnächst auch in Deutschland!
- BND nutzt Bundes-Trojaner gegen eigene Leute und Politiker, soviel zu “nur gegen Terroristen!!1”
- BND überwacht Welthungerhilfe in Afghanistan und der Clou: Die wird von SSchäubles Frau geleitet! LOL
- SPD und CDU wollten klammheimlich Deutsche Söldnertruppen legalisieren.
- In Griechenland schmeißt die Polizei mit Steinen nach dir, nicht umgekehrt…